Associate Buyer, Bakery - Sam's Club
JobTitle: Associate Buyer, Bakery - Sam's Club
- Provides direction to cross functional teams (for example, Planning, Merchandising, Replenishment) by aligning subcategory team workload with layout timelines and strategies; reviewing purchase plans; ensuring timely execution of business plans at the club level; reviewing and analyzing inputs and reports from team members; identifying merchandising issues; coordinating and leading team meetings to address merchandising issues and develop potential solutions; addressing unexpected or unusual circumstances (for example, product recalls, natural disasters) that impact product availability or demand; and escalating issues to senior management as required.
- Supports senior leaders with execution and maintenance of category and subcategory inventory plans by reviewing open-to-buy development, updates, and recommendations; providing inputs and insights to guide merchandise flow and replenishment decisions at the club level; reviewing markdown budgets and clearance plans and providing recommendations to the senior leaders; addressing inventory flow and management decisions that deviate from established plans; and partnering with transition planning team and operations to execute key seasonal business flow plans (for example, Christmas, back to school, game time).
- Manages suppliers by executing merchandising strategies; identifying, establishing, and maintaining relationships with suppliers; building comprehensive plans with suppliers to meet expectations; ensuring suppliers meet expectations and metrics; monitoring and evaluating supplier item performance and productivity; driving sales by holding suppliers accountable to business plans (for example, quality, production, on-time delivery, instock); communicating ongoing business topics or issues (for example, questions, item or product-level details); and communicating inventory demand to maximize manufacturing efficiencies.
- Manages financial performance of assigned subcategory groups by reviewing financial reports and information; monitoring sales volume and its impact on items; analyzing, interpreting, and predicting item or product financial trends and market changes; identifying outside influences on subcategory financial performance; identifying and analyzing risks; reviewing, implementing, and analyzing item or product decisions (for example, markdowns) that might impact category financials; monitoring and revising sales projections during the current financial periods; projecting future financial performance based on history and other relevant information (for example, product or item mix, expected growth); and identifying interrelationships among items or products and how their financial performance impacts overall category or subcategory financial performance.
- Identifies products that satisfy Member needs by reviewing and using the results of market analysis (for example, product information, trend and historical data, Member insights, supplier research); reviewing supplier presentations on new and changing products; reading supplier materials and trade publications to understand product trends in terms of design, features, and packaging; attending trade shows; and visiting supplier facilities to observe product manufacturing processes and handling.
- Develops Merchandising division alignment of feature planning and demo strategies to drive efficiency and profitability by evaluating insights, trends, and past performance; understanding merchandising plans and their business impact; recommending actions that promote category-specific growth; providing input on strategic initiatives developed by management or team members, and partnering with cross-functional teams (for example, Merchandising, Operations, Finance, Marketing).
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or related field OR 1 year experience in Merchandising or related field
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- 3 years experience in Merchandising or related field
As a most unique and forward-thinking retail employer, Sam’s Club helps our members live better by providing them great value on the things they need — both for their businesses and their homes. What makes Sam’s Club unique is the format we use to serve our customers. Our clubs give members access to a wide selection of large-volume items at value prices. Working at Sam's Club means working behind the scenes of a unique retail operation. The decisions to best serve our members have a profound impact on millions of people. We pride ourselves on our progressive environmental practices and the ability to change with the times. We look for people who can think creatively, make smart decisions, and anticipate future trends in retailing.