Big Data Engineer
Job Code: 387078
Job Location: New Jersey-Newark
Prudential's Customer Office Data Technology team is seeking an experienced Big Data Engineer who will be responsible for the planning, implementation, administration, and overall health of Customer Office Data. This includes support of issues as well as proactive recommendations for improvements on system performance in relationship to the Data Technology. This position will require proven communication skills, problem-solving skills, and knowledge of best practices to guide the DBA & Big Data team to ensure the availability, integrity, security, and performance of Customer Office databases. We are looking for Data Engineer who has strong experience working in Databases, AWS cloud and hands on developer.
Updated Job description:
- Build distributed, scalable, and reliable data pipelines that ingest and process data at scale and in real-time.
- Collaborate with other teams to design and develop and deploy data tools that support both operations and product use cases.
- Own product features from the development phase through to production deployment.
- Troubleshoot data issues, deep dive into root cause analysis, recommend, test and implement solutions
- Develop and document technical requirements and solutions
- Participate in design and code reviews
- Troubleshoot issues making recommendations and delivering on those recommendations
- BS in Computer Science or related area
- Around 8 years software development experience
- Minimum 5 years of active SQL development, Performance tuning, Data Modeling and design
- Minimum 1-2 Year Experience on Cloud computing, AWS preferable.
- Good analytical and programming experience with Java, Oracle, SQL
- Flair for data, schema, data model, how to bring efficiency in big data related life cycle
- Proficiency with agile or lean development practices
- Strong object-oriented design and analysis skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Top skill sets / technologies in the ideal candidate:
* Programming language -- Java, Python, SQL
* AWS - RDS, EC2, RedShift, S3 and others. AWS cloud Data migration, AWS Security
* Database – Oracle, complex SQL queries, performance tuning concepts, Backups, Recovery, DR, BCP
* NoSQL -- HBase, MongoDB, Cassandra, Riak,
* ETL Tools Data Stage, Informatica
* Code/Build/Deployment -- git, svn, maven, sbt, jenkins, bamboo
* AWS Associate / Solution Architect certified
* Batch processing -- Hadoop MapReduce, Cascading/Scaling, Apache Spark, AWS EMR
* Stream processing -- Spark streaming, Apache Storm, Flink
Excellent communication and decision making skills are essential.
Strong analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills.
Zeal to lean new technologies, frameworks and appetite for growth
Identify project risks and recommend mitigation efforts.
Identify project issues, communicate them and assist in their resolution.
Assist in continuous improvement efforts in enhancing project team methodology and performance.
Cooperative team focused attitude
Prudential is a multinational financial services leader with operations in the United States, Asia, Europe, and Latin America. Leveraging its heritage of life insurance and asset management expertise, Prudential is focused on helping individual and institutional customers grow and protect their wealth. The company's well-known Rock symbol is an icon of strength, stability, expertise and innovation that has stood the test of time. Prudential's businesses offer a variety of products and services, including life insurance, annuities, retirement-related services, mutual funds, asset management, and real estate services.
We recognize that our strength and success are directly linked to the quality and skills of our diverse associates. We are proud to be a place where talented people who want to make a difference can grow as professionals, leaders, and as individuals. Visit www.prudential.com to learn more about our values, our history and our brand.
Prudential is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Note that this posting is intended for individual applicants. Search firms or agencies should email Staffing at email@example.com for more information about doing business with Prudential.
Job Function: Development