Chief Of Staff - Engineering
Location:San Jose, California, US
Area of InterestBusiness Strategy and Operations
Technology InterestBig Data, Analytics, Internet of Everything, Networking
What You’ll Do
The Chief of Staff to Cisco’s SVP, Enterprise Product Management leader is a key member of the organization’s leadership team and helps shape, guide and manage the evolution and execution of the Cisco’s Enterprise strategy internally and externally. The Chief of Staff works closely with business, technology and thought leaders across all of Cisco, as well as with peers and members of Cisco’s Enterprise leadership team. This Chief of Staff will drive alignment, accountability and win-win outcomes by possessing dynamic leadership and teamwork capabilities, and managing a broad range of strategic, change management and operational initiatives. The Chief of Staff plays a key role in helping the Enterprise PLM organization achieve its strategic goals.
S/he uses interpersonal know-how, sophistication and intellect to represent the organization in a variety of settings, and drives best-in-class operational processes of road-mapping and prioritization, conducting root cause analyses when needed. S/he is high-energy, has outstanding communications and presentation skills, thinks strategically, is fearless with understanding technical and organizational detail, and drives accountability and execution as part of their DNA. S/he is extremely organized and comfortable in rapidly changing, dynamic environments.
· Evaluate and prioritize workstreams, liaising with partners in the Engineering and Strategy organizations as well as across the company.
· Build rapport with executive stakeholders, engendering trust and serving as a representative for the leadership team when needed.
· Design, create and drive the organization’s annual and long-range strategic plans, quarterly business reviews and fiscal year portfolio planning/ budgeting process jointly with Engineering Operations.
· Collaborate with product group leadership to drive goal alignment and accountability, monitoring solution development and execution while helping recognize accomplishments.
· Build and maintain credibility throughout the business as a strategic adviser and team player. Sustain control and ownership of appropriate areas and uphold high standards for quality of work product.
· Drive process improvement and process simplification wherever possible.
· Lead change initiatives and develop solutions to optimize organizational effectiveness as an internal management consultant.
Who You Are
· 10 or more years in a strategic business or consulting role with a focus on business/technology strategy and planning, and organizational change for multi-national companies. Mergers and acquisitions experience is preferred.
· Strategic thinking with the ability to see the big picture, balancing short- and long-term objectives. Most importantly, the ability to interpret business strategy, connect it to the organization’s operational priorities and see them through to successful implementation.
· Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to successfully interface with C-level executives. Projects him/herself through actions, manners and posture to create and deliver a favorable impression of personal credibility and professionalism as illustrated by the ability to change/modify/influence the views of more senior colleagues. Ability to troubleshoot, influence, and break down barriers within a matrix organization.
· High raw-intellect: will be both strategic and practical, able to sift through large amounts of data to get to “a-ha” moments, identify critical trends and present data in an impactful way to leadership through a consulting mindset.
· Hunger to be a key driver in a fast-paced environment; possess very strong analytical and self-organizational skills.
· Demonstrated ability to overlay a structured framework onto problems: disaggregate data, abstract key characteristics and dynamics, diagnose/isolate root causes, and extrapolate to solutions; able to locate trends and levers.
· Ability to implement new initiatives and drive change management by developing strong cross-functional partnerships in a fast-paced, fast-changing global organization.
· Excellent communication and presentation skills with the ability to position the vision and strategy of the organization as well as Cisco with a variety of audiences. Demonstrates the ability to articulate views clearly and concisely both verbally and in written form under tight timelines and with limited guidance.
· Ability to deal with ambiguity, be self-driven, multitask and manage dynamically changing, competing priorities and deadlines.
Education & Experience
· BS/BA required, MBA preferred.
· 10+ years of experience in management, leadership, and/or strategic planning.
· Must have a strong grasp of Cisco’s markets, products, services, strategy, planning and decision-making processes.
· 5+ years of demonstrated success leading large, complex projects across teams or organizations. Highly organized with excellent follow-through.
· Must be able to think strategically and operate tactically to drive and deliver for the Enterprise PLM office.
· Proven ability to build relationships at all levels within an organization, including C-suite/ EVP/SVP level.
Why CiscoWe connect everything: people, processes, data, and things. We innovate everywhere, taking bold risks to shape the technologies that give us smart cities, connected cars, and handheld hospitals. And we do it in style with unique personalities who aren’t afraid to change the way the world works, lives, plays and learns.