At HomeDepot.com, our award-winning e-Commerce team is blazing a trail of retail shopping innovation by leveraging cutting-edge technology with our 2,200+ store locations and a relentless focus on customer service. We are on a mission to provide the world’s best interconnected shopping experience; and to do so, we need more dreamers, innovators and big thinkers passionate about re-imagining the future of retail. Interested in making history with us? If so, apply today to experience what it’s like to be a part of our HomeDepot.com team. Who knows? Your next big idea may just change the future of retail!
The Data Scientist will develop the analytical infrastructure and computational capabilities that drive decision making and impact the bottom line performance of homedepot.com. By partnering with business leaders and leveraging company and industry data, this role will develop predictive systems and algorithms for identifying trends and driving business solutions. This position's primary focus is to manipulate large datasets to extract meaningful business information using statistics and machine learning techniques.
Major Tasks, Responsibilities and Key Accountabilities
Nature and Scope
- 50%-Design and develop algorithms and models to use against large datasets to create business insights
- 20%-Establish scalable, efficient processes for large scale data analyses, model development and model implementation
- 20%-Present analysis and resulting recommendations to senior management; Leverage data to present a compelling business case to optimize investments and operations
- 10%-Communicate and educate technical and non-technical employees on analytics and data-driven decision making
Environmental Job Requirements:
- This position reports to Head of Data Science
- This position has no Direct Reports
- Located in a comfortable indoor area. Any unpleasant conditions would be infrequent and not objectionable.
- Typically requires overnight travel less than 10% of the time.
- Must be eighteen years of age or older.
- Must pass the Drug Test.
- Must pass Background Check.
- Must pass pre-employment test if applicable.
Years of Relevant Work Experience: 0 years
- The knowledge, skills and abilities typically acquired through the completion of a master's degree program or equivalent degree in a field of study related to the job.
- Most of the time is spent sitting in a comfortable position and there is frequent opportunity to move about. On rare occasions there may be a need to move or lift light articles.
- Master's in Computer Science, Math or related quantitative field (or BS/BA in Computer Science, Math or related quantitative field and 5 years of data mining experience).
- Work experience with Hadoop, SAS, HBASE, Cassandra or other similar development platforms.
- Expert knowledge in large scale information retrieval and statistical analysis.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies:
- 3 years of experience in data mining and statistical analysis
- Previous work experience in ecommerce
- Experience with large-scale data analysis and a demonstrated ability to identify key
- Insights from data to solve business problems
- Ability to build scalable systems that analyze huge data sets and make actionable recommendations
- Strong communication and data presentation skills
- Ability to quickly adapt to new technologies, tools and techniques
- Flexible and responsive; able to perform in a fast paced, dynamic work environment and meet aggressive deadlines
- Ability to work with technical and non-technical team members
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.