Director, Data Scientist, Fraud
Job Code: 399738
Job Location: New Jersey-Newark
Prudential Financial is looking for a high-energy Director of Data Science to help build out a centralized advanced data analytics capability as an enterprise service for the US Businesses. This role will initially focus on expanding our Fraud Analytics capability. The role requires a rare combination of deep and sophisticated analytical expertise; business acumen; strategic and technical mindset; client, relationship, and project management together with a passion for building new capabilities and teams. This is an exciting opportunity to drive customer-centric thinking in a new and growing organization. The Customer Office team merges the entrepreneurial spirit of a start-up with the stability of one of the world’s most established financial services companies. We operate in a fast paced environment and need someone who takes initiative and is excited about being part of a cultural and business transformation. Experimentation and innovation are encouraged.
Responsibilities for this position include building the framework, sourcing, leading, and presenting forward-thinking, high-impact Data Analytics projects focused on key strategic initiatives for the US businesses. You will lead a team in an exciting and engaging environment, where you will be encouraged to expand your skills, test your creative boundaries, share new ideas, and most importantly – have fun.
- Lead projects initially focused on building out advanced Fraud analytics across the US Businesses.
- Work closely with key business partners to plan and execute high-value and actionable data analytics projects and initiatives.
- Identify, integrate and mine large data sets, connecting data from disparate sources to identify insights and patterns using traditional as well as predictive and prescriptive analytics.
- Source, scrub, and join relevant public, commercial, and proprietary data sources.
- Conduct statistical analysis using large structured and unstructured data sets (e.g., speech analytics, digital footprints, customer behavior, financial information, proprietary market research, and secondary sources) with the goal of discovering meaningful implications for business decisions.
- Manage and mentor a team of junior staff members; create learning, development and engagement plans to help source and retain key talent.
- Develop and design presentations, reports, and other deliverables to communicate findings and make recommendations with a focus on “what it means” and “actions” to consider.
- Summarize findings in written and verbal reports to key stakeholders, communicating with technical and non-technical team members.
- Direct project plans, timelines, and vendor relationships to ensure projects are delivered with the highest quality, on time, and within budget.
- Demonstrate knowledge of business success drivers, industry trends, regulatory issues, and competitive marketplace.
- Advanced degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering, Computer Science, or other quantitative/statistical discipline, plus a minimum of 5-10 years of relevant work experience in data analytics, fraud, or related consulting.
- Consultative nature, with proven track record of using data to provide actionable business results.
- Experience analyzing large data sets using software such as R, Python, Scala or SAS, applying a variety of statistical techniques such as regression, machine learning, discriminant analysis, cluster analysis and segmentation.
- Experience managing a team of Data Scientists
- Excel and PowerPoint required.
- Prior experience with building custom statistical models, analyzing unstructured data, and machine learning highly desirable.
- Polished written and oral communication skills, with ability to present and clearly explain data to non-technical executive audiences.
- Strong project management skills / experience managing projects, budgets, and schedules to successful completion.
- Prior work experience requiring advanced statistical and systems thinking.
- Prior exposure to financial services or insurance industry.
- Excellent collaboration skills and commitment to building trusted relationships with clients.
- Ability to balance responsiveness to diverse requests from many stakeholders.
Prudential is a multinational financial services leader with operations in the United States, Asia, Europe, and Latin America. Leveraging its heritage of life insurance and asset management expertise, Prudential is focused on helping individual and institutional customers grow and protect their wealth. The company's well-known Rock symbol is an icon of strength, stability, expertise and innovation that has stood the test of time. Prudential's businesses offer a variety of products and services, including life insurance, annuities, retirement-related services, mutual funds, asset management, and real estate services.
We recognize that our strength and success are directly linked to the quality and skills of our diverse associates. We are proud to be a place where talented people who want to make a difference can grow as professionals, leaders, and as individuals. Visit www.prudential.com to learn more about our values, our history and our brand.
Prudential is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Note that this posting is intended for individual applicants. Search firms or agencies should email Staffing at email@example.com for more information about doing business with Prudential.
Job Function: Risk Management