Director, Database Engineering
JobTitle: Director, Database Engineering
@WalmartLabs is the technical powerhouse behind Walmart Global eCommerce. We employ big data at scale -- from machine learning, data mining and optimization algorithms, to modeling and analyzing massive flows of data from online, social, mobile and offline commerce. We don’t just engineer cool websites, mobile apps, and new services; we use our own open source tools to create the framework. Deployment is automated and accelerated through our open cloud platform. This makes us incredibly nimble and able to adjust in real-time to our global customers.
The Global Technical Operations team builds and runs the infrastructure for one of the largest 24/7 e-commerce operations in the world. Our engineers take great pride in their ownership of the systems, databases, networks, and the NOC that keeps the heart of Walmart Global eCommerce beating. With billions of customers, we're here to ensure seamless performance at global scale. Whether there's an unexpected spike in performance due to site visits or new builds and releases, we bring solutions to complex challenges.
Walmart offers its eCommerce customers the ability to purchase what they want, when they want it, and that requires terabytes of data to be readily accessible at all times. To accomplish this highly critical task, our myriad of data environments, made up of Cassandra, Oracle, MySQL, Solr, and many other technologies, must be 24/7/365 at peak efficiency.
The Director of Database Engineering Services will provide leadership for the design and implementation of databases in Walmart’s global high availability and high performance environments, supporting a broad range of systems including e-commerce, accounting, customer service, and warehouse management.
- Provide technical leadership in design, implementation and support of the core database services that are highly reliable, flexible, scalable and cost effective
- Develop, support, and communicate core database engineering policies, standards, guidelines and procedures
- Establish proper monitoring, measuring and reporting of service performance against Service Level Objectives, customer satisfaction and financial efficiencies
- Ensures delivery success with strong focus on customer service and partnership development
- Manage all levels of support for implementations and operations
- Improves, optimizes, and identifies opportunities for improved software development processes
- Manages and plans to ensure delivery success
- Promotes and supports company policies, procedures, mission, values, and standards of ethics and integrity
- Supports continuous process improvement and innovation
- Manage risks, assessing gaps/opportunities, and implementing action plans to mitigate risks, when applicable
- Effectively communicate project status to management and other stake-holders as appropriate
- Build a high performing team through staff development, recruiting and retention that can support Walmart’s growing business needs
- Promote effective teamwork and cross functional collaboration
- 10+ years of experience in a leadership role managing highly transactional OLTP databases in excess of 5TB in a 7 x 24 environment
- Direct experience in leading the database administration teams for large-scale enterprise that are highly scalable and reliable
- Proven ability to develop architecture and provide design oversight that incorporates high availability, operations supportability and scalability to a high volume, rapidly growing world class Ecommerce business
- Expert level knowledge of database backup and recovery process and HA solutions like Data Guard, Golden Gate, RAC & Streams
- Expert knowledge of OLTP database internals for tuning applications written in PL/SQL
- Prior experience with applications like ATG, Sterling commerce order management and other multi-channel applications suite
- Direct experience with Oracle running on UNIX, preferably Solaris and Linux
- Hands-on experience with different aspect of database tuning, application (PL/SQL) and SQL tuning
- Experience with Veritas Quick I/O, Veritas Cluster Server, Cluster file systems and Volume Manager highly desirable
- Experience with Private cloud setup, opensource technologies and automation
- Experience with automation and tools designed to support highly transactional databases for large scale and with highest levels of availability
- Experience developing long-term strategies and influencing leadership decisions
- Experience Managing teams, vendors, and SLAs
- Experience leading a team and multiple initiatives in a fast-paced team environment with flexibility with changes
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong customer focus
- Proven people and project management skills required with attention to details
- Must work well in team environment with high individual productivity with a can-do attitude
- Required to provide 24/7 Support and available on-call for all escalations
- Bachelor’s Degree in CS or similar field of study OR work equivalent
Walmart Global eCommerce is comprised of Walmart.com, VUDU, SamsClub.com, and our technical powerhouse @WalmartLabs. Here, innovators incubate next gen e-commerce solutions in real-time. We integrate online, physical, and mobile shopping experiences for billions of customers around the globe. How do we do it? We continuously build and invest in new technology including open source tools and big data innovations. Data scientists, front and back-end engineers, product managers, and web and UX/UI teams collaborate alongside e-commerce experts to envision, prototype, and bring revolutionary ideas to life in a dynamic, flexible and fun work culture.