Director - Standards & Verification, US Product Safety Compliance
JobTitle: Director - Standards & Verification, US Product Safety Compliance
The Director of Standards & Verification for US Product Safety directs the development and implementation of strategies, goals and objectives related to Product Safety and Compliance by assessing product compliance risks; developing strategic product risk mitigation programs and services across US corporate entities (for example, Walmart, Sam's Club, Walmart.com, Samsclub.com, Walmart Puerto Rico) including the identification of current and emerging corporate risks associated with general merchandise product safety, product standards and product legislation and regulation. Specific responsibilities include:
- Responsibility for day to day business strategy, risk and objective development surrounding testing & verification programs within the Standards & Verification team.
- Oversight of the development and implementation of changes within the established product testing program which consist of pre-production, production or in-store testing for general merchandise and consumable products
- Responsible for enhancements and efficiencies in the use of ICIX, a 3rd party database system that allows visibility to all general merchandise and consumable product testing to ensure appropriate testing and certifications are in place.
- Works with suppliers to ensure compliance with laws, regulations and voluntary standards and the requirements of 3rd party testing by overseeing training and communication strategies.
- Responsible for correspondence and program development oversight with 3rd party test labs working within the Walmart framework.
- Works cross-functionally with internal business stakeholders such as Direct Imports, Merchandising, Quality Assurance, and Product Development in the creation of best in class collaborative programs.
- Provides guidance to Managers, Sr. Managers, Merchandise Quality Engineers and others on situations relating to regulatory test failures, department lab assignments and regulatory changes.
- 2 years supervisory experience.
- Bachelor s degree in business law, business management or related field and 4 years experience in legal, compliance, government relations, retail merchandising, store operations, consumer product manufacturing or related field OR 6 years experience in legal, compliance, government relations, retail merchandising, store operations, consumer product manufacturing or related field.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- 4 years experience in product manufacturing.
- 4 years experience in product testing.
- 4 years experience in regulatory research.
- 4 years experience working in or with government agencies.
- 4 years experience writing product standards.
- 4 years supervisory experience.
- Juris Doctor degree.
- Master's degree in business law, business administration, engineering or related field.
What started small, with a single discount store and the simple idea of selling more for less, has grown over the last 50 years into the largest retailer in the world. Today, nearly 260 million customers visit our more than 11,500 stores under 72 banners in 28 countries and e-commerce sites in 11 countries each week. With fiscal year 2016 revenue of $482.1 billion, Walmart employs 2.3 million associates worldwide – 1.5 million in the U.S. alone. It’s all part of our unwavering commitment to creating opportunities and bringing value to customers and communities around the world.