JobTitle: Experimentation Scientist
City: SAN BRUNO
@WalmartLabs is the technical powerhouse behind Walmart Global eCommerce. We employ big data at scale -- from machine learning, data mining and optimization algorithms, to modeling and analyzing massive flows of data from online, social, mobile and offline commerce. We don’t just engineer cool websites, mobile apps, and new services; we use our own open source tools to create the framework. Deployment is automated and accelerated through our open cloud platform. This makes us incredibly nimble and able to adjust in real-time to our global customers.
The Customer Experience team lives on the front line of e-commerce innovation. This collaborative team, made up of engineering, UX, product management, along with web and technology evangelists, is rapidly iterating new products and site features at scale. We deliver high performing solutions - from our next gen front-end platform (node.js and react.js) to our best-in-class backend payments platform which powers web, mobile and API solutions. Continuous innovation and immediate feedback by billions of customers make this work incredibly exciting!
Walmart.com's new leadership are driving for data driven decision making across the entire organization. To support this transformation we have built a world-class Product Analytics group within the Product Management team. All the pieces are in place to drive an explosion in the volume of experiments we run to inform business decisions. Our experimentation platform and methodologies are highly developed but we want to continue to seek better ways to make inferences from our massive amounts of user and clickstream data. We need someone to help us navigate through the statistical research and help us find test design and analysis methods that could scale to deliver real business benefits.
We are looking for a professional statistician or economist - we hope you have a strong theoretical grounding - but more importantly a passion for applied research. You will be comfortable working at the intersection of statistics, causal inference and machine learning. Coupled with great business acumen and a thorough understanding of our business model you will be able to work both independently and with the wider internal and external scientific community to ensure we do not miss opportunities to improve our experimentation methods.
You are passionate about helping Walmart build, test and launch amazing product experiences by being a critical part of the best experimentation team on the planet!
Come join us if you want to:
- Conduct research into the latest statistical and econometric tools in areas such as, but not limited to:
- causal inference in experimental and non-experimental situations
- non-parametric and bayesian methods
- heterogeneous treatment effects
- variance estimation for ratio metrics
- heavy tailed distributions
- deep learning and machine learning for inference
- Make smart trade-offs to enable scalable deployment of methods in our experimentation platform
- Collaborate closely with other data scientists and statisticians around the organization
- Communicate findings confidently to smart, non-experts
Masters or higher in Science, Technology, Engineering and 5+ years in commercial or academic research role.
Successful candidates typically demonstrate strengths in many of the following areas:
- deep analytical capabilities and strong intellectual curiosity
- scientific mindset with bias to experimentation rather than theory
- collaboration and networking
- fast learner especially in technical domains
- customer focus - achieving practical business impact
- problem definition, rigorous analysis, and recommendation development
- research organization, reproductibility, initiative, and integrity
- strong coding skills in R, Python, Scala
- comfort handling massive data sets
- working knowledge of big data solutions such as Hadoop and Spark
Additional Preferred Qualifications
PhD or substantial documented ongoing learning in relevant topics.
Publication and/or presentation record.
Walmart Global eCommerce is comprised of Walmart.com, VUDU, SamsClub.com, and our technical powerhouse @WalmartLabs. Here, innovators incubate next gen e-commerce solutions in real-time. We integrate online, physical, and mobile shopping experiences for billions of customers around the globe. How do we do it? We continuously build and invest in new technology including open source tools and big data innovations. Data scientists, front and back-end engineers, product managers, and web and UX/UI teams collaborate alongside e-commerce experts to envision, prototype, and bring revolutionary ideas to life in a dynamic, flexible and fun work culture.