Working at the world's fourth largest retailer mixes the best of many worlds: cutting-edge technologies meet real business needs meets real customers who spend billions of dollars at our stores in North America.
What is it like to work at The Home Depot QuoteCenter?
We were a startup once upon a time and much of our startup culture still exists: the agility of a small operation, the impact that comes with being a leader in our industry. Our product development team uses the latest open source technologies to build new products that facilitate 9-figure project sales at The Home Depot. We invest proactively in our people. We sponsor developer events, including .Net Fringe, NodePDX and PADNUG, and our developers headline workshops to teach Portland-area web developers how we use cutting-edge technology to solve real world problems. The mission of the QuoteCenter product team is to radically reimagine the shopping experience at Home Depot utilizing the latest web technologies and data tools.
Improving and maintaining the performance and reliability of our world-class commerce applications through the creation of the platforms engineering discipline.
Our vision for our application platform
Self-service development environments
- We need a platform that allows developers to generate code/test stacks on demand
- We need a data platform that will accommodate development environments and schema/data migrations with ease
Automated run-books and self-healing clusters
- Our database nodes and application services should monitor for faults and automate their recovery
- Our data platform should find bad data before our users
- Our application servers will use the best mixture of optimization and performance patterns
- Make the most of the latest public cloud offerings to make availability a foregone conclusion
-Users will cite our applications as the gold-standard for speed and reliability
MAJOR TASKS, RESPONSIBILITES AND KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES
40% - Support staff with ad-hoc and project data support required across functional areas such as Operations, Merchandising, Finance, Supply Chain and IT and provide solutions to drive efficiency and improved results
20% - Develop and maintain data and reporting capabilities to support the department
20% - People Development: Assists in recruiting and hiring staff pool; Responsible for direct management and development of the data team
10% - Assist with the development and delivery of training for the department
10% - Building Relationships: Stays connected with key leaders to ensure the platforms engineering team is leveraging the relevant and up to date tools available and also engaging on the appropriate projects at the right level.
NATURE AND SCOPE
This position reports to Sr. Architect IT Manager.
This position has 4 direct reports.
ENVIRONMENTAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
Located in a comfortable indoor area. Any unpleasant conditions would be infrequent and not objectionable.
Typically requires overnight travel less than 10% of the time.
Additional Environmental Job Requirements:
Must be eighteen years of age or older.
Must be legally permitted to work in the United States.
Additional Minimum Qualifications:
The knowledge, skills and abilities typically acquired through the completion of a high school diplomas and/or GED.
Years of Relevant Work Experience: 2 years
Most of the time is spent sitting in a comfortable position and there is frequent opportunity to move about. On rare occasions there may be a need to move or lift light articles.
Own the realization of the vision
- The team and the vision are yours. Take them and make them the envy of Portland.
- Teach the team what they need to know in order to make that vision a reality
- Use the power of the public cloud to make our platform a model for the industry
Build the engineering team that will deliver a world-class application platform
- Partner with our recruiting team to define team roles and candidate criteria
- Develop interview processes for each role
- Scour the local community online and through meet-ups to find the best candidates
- Define your "A-team" and tell us how we can help you make them successful
- Fill your team with proactive problem-solvers, just like you
Manage the development, delivery, and maintenance of this vision
- Work with your team to create super-productive work streams
- Make sure your product development partners are happy by defining and striving to maintain best-in-class SLAs
- Manage the tools and processes that our teams will use on a daily basis
- Make sure they don't feel the need to search for better alternatives
- Impress your team with your willingness and ability to get hands-on with systems implementation and maintenance
Manage platform performance and reliability
- Set high SLA standards for your team and then help them accomplish more than they think they can
- When things go wrong, your team will make the most out of the learning opportunities and support the larger team to grow stronger from adversity
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies:- Ownership mentality – the networks, operating systems, cloud environments are yours and you know what you want to do with them.
- You have a strong work ethic, a sense of urgency, and a customer-service state of mind
- You work best with other people. You partner with the development teams rather than simply serving them.
- You've got a decade or two under your belt. You've been there and seen that, but haven't lost your sense of wonder for what can be.
- Your understanding of operating systems, networks, and cloud technologies will help your team make the best decisions
- You know how to motivate and grow people to maximize their potential
- When you speak with people or send messages via Slack and/or email, your audience knows exactly what you need them to know
- Platform zealots need not apply–you're going to use the right tools for the right jobs... limber up!
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.