The Instructional Designer (ID) applies instructional design and adult learning principles and strategies to analyze, design, develop, implement, and evaluate instructional courses, assessments, job aids, and other learning deliverables for associates in all areas of The Home Depot’s operations. The ID creates deliverables for all phases of the course creation lifecycle including analysis documents, design documents, storyboards, and final learning deliverables that align to the overall business goals. The ID also collaborates effectively with peers, leaders, and business partners to translate business requirements into learning requirements and project scope, build learning solutions that align to desired outcomes, and ensure learning deliverables meet and exceed The Home Depot’s quality standards.
MAJOR TASKS, RESPONSIBILITIES AND KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES
80% - Instructional Design
- Creates learning objectives, design documents, storyboards, and other learning design deliverables
- Ensures learning solutions are aligned to desired outcomes
- Coordinates internal and external subject matter experts to obtain required job and task information
- Develops learning solutions using project-based templates when appropriate
- Knows standard eLearning development tools and software (Articulate Storyline and Presenter, Adobe Captivate)
- Tests and debugs deliverables for quality assurance
- Partners with Learning Strategy Senior Managers on confirming needs analysis and instructional strategy
20% - Project Management and Communication
NATURE AND SCOPE
- Collaborates effectively with peers, leaders, and business partners
- Project manages deliverables and proactively communicates milestones
- Possesses strong writing and communication skills
- Reviews and edits material against accepted THD standards for instructional quality and soundness
- Assists in the interviewing, selection, and onboarding of contractors and associates
This position reports to Manager of Learning.
This position has 0 direct reports.
ENVIRONMENTAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
Located in a comfortable indoor area. Any unpleasant conditions would be infrequent and not objectionable.
Typically requires overnight travel less than 10% of the time.
Additional Environmental Job Requirements:
Additional Minimum Qualifications:
- Must be eighteen years of age
- Must pass the Drug Test
- Must pass the Background Check
- Must pass pre-employment tests if applicable
The knowledge, skills and abilities typically acquired through the completion of a bachelor's degree program or equivalent degree in a field of study related to the job.
Years of Relevant Work Experience: 2 years
Most of the time is spent sitting in a comfortable position and there is frequent opportunity to move about. On rare occasions there may be a need to move or lift light articles.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies:
- Masters Degree in Instructional Design, Instructional Technology, Human Resource Development, Organizational Behavior and Development, Industrial and Organizational Psychology, or related field
- 2-4 years in Learning field
- Experience creating training materials for retail organizations
- Proficient knowledge of instructional design and adult learning theories
- Proficiency with software including Microsoft Office and standard eLearning development tools
- Basic knowledge of project management principles and MS Project
- Excellent written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.