Java Backend Developer/DevOps Engineer
Location:London, England, United Kingdom
Area of InterestEngineer - Software
Technology InterestCloud and Data Center
What You'll Do
Cisco Umbrella (formerly known as OpenDNS) creates a new layer of cloud-delivered protection in the network security stack, both on and off the corporate network. Umbrella prevents command & control callbacks, malware, and phishing over any port or protocol.
You will work within a DevOps culture participating in the complete product development cycle starting from analysis, architecture, design, coding, testing, release and maintenance of software. As an experienced Software Engineer you will be able to demonstrate the ability to drive change, be innovative and mentor more junior engineers, whilst hitting tight deadlines.
In this role you will take ownership of technical stories and delivering them through the full SDLC
• Analyze data to deeply understand operational characteristics of our systems in production
• Responsible for technical content of design reviews and/or code walk-throughs
• Works across functional teams to develop system/unit functional specifications
• Coaching and Mentoring junior engineers in use of sound design principles
• Proactive communication skills and effectively communicates difficult messages consistent with management direction
• Develops tools or processes as appropriate and champion them through the organization in order to improve productivity
Who You'll Work With
We are looking for talented, driven Software Engineers to join our team of open source masterminds at our central London office. Our engineers are pioneers in SaaS application development, developing high performance, scalable, business-critical platforms, which are the envy of our competitors.
We have a fast-paced, exciting environment, as you would expect from a company at the forefront of technical innovation; with endless opportunities to develop your coding, automation, networking and virtualization skills, liaise with other business units within Cisco, and feed your thirst for knowledge."
Who You Are
You are an individual with deep desire to fundamentally understand why things happen in the way they do. You have creative and pragmatic approach to solving problems and improving the product, its surrounding architecture and tooling. Also Expert Java technical skills are very important to process over 6 billion requests a day our software needs to be as optimal as possible
• Java - 4-6 years of back-end development experience, ideally cloud based
• Experience with web based technologies and protocols (HTTP, REST, TLS)
• Understanding of the networking stack (TLS, TCP)
• Build, deploy, monitor, manage and maintain Cloud applications and the underlying Cloud (e.g. AWS, Docker, etc.) technologies in local and remote data centers
• Strong knowledge of deployment automation, orchestration and configuration management
• Good understanding of networking including TCP/IP, HTTP, SSL, HTTPS
• Experience of working in an Agile team within a DevOPs culture
• Ability to build on and use open-source tools/projects
• Scala, Python, Ruby experience would be a plus
• Previous experience with delivering new product, including methodologies, for an enterprise solution
We connect everything: people, processes, data, and things. We innovate everywhere, taking bold risks to shape the technologies that give us smart cities, connected cars, and handheld hospitals. And we do it in style with unique personalities who aren’t afraid to change the way the world works, lives, plays and learns.
We are thought leaders, tech geeks, pop culture aficionados, and we even have a few purple haired rock stars. We celebrate the creativity and diversity that fuels our innovation. We are dreamers and we are doers.
We Are Cisco.