Responsible for executing the overall short and long term strategy for assigned category/ categories. This includes, creating and maintaining vendor relationships, marketing products, developing product line strategies and reporting financial results. The Merchant makes all or most of the buying decisions for the assigned category and negotiates terms with suppliers to drive item selection and pricing.
Major Tasks, Responsibilities & Key Accountabilities:
- 30% Supplier Relationship Management: Influences the supplier management strategy to support overall department strategy and works to improve all aspect of supplier relationship. May serve as a key contributor on various other key projects.
- 30%Financial Planning & Management: Implements the financial strategy/ cost structure for a category and sets pricing.
- 20% Merchandising Execution: Develops merchandising strategy to understand key business drivers (e.g. historical performance, industry/ competitive landscape, consumer segmentation) May serve as a key contributor on various key projects within a business function.
- 20% Assortment Selection: Executes the business review of category/ categories on a regular basis; determining changes to product mix to better optimize assortment and drive innovation.
Nature and Scope:
Typically reports to Merchandising Vice President or Divisional Merchandise Manager. Partial or full responsibility for managing the Merchant Associate(s).
Environmental Job Requirements: Environment:
Located in a comfortable indoor area. Any unpleasant conditions would be infrequent and not objectionable.
Typically requires overnight travel 5% to 20% of the time.
Standard Minimum Qualifications:
- Must be eighteen years of age or older.
- Must pass the Drug Test.
- Must pass pre-employment test if applicable.
Additional Minimum Qualifications: Education Required:
The knowledge, skills and abilities typically acquired through the completion of a high school diplomas and/or GED.
Work Experience Required: 6
- 1. Most of the time is spent sitting in a comfortable position and there is frequent opportunity to move about.
- On rare occasions there may be a need to move or lift light articles.
- Experience with managing regional and national suppliers. Ability to manage sales typically in excess of $500M.
- Experience managing a business (financial, operational, process, people, technology etc).
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in business or related field of study
- Proven experience in merchandising execution, visual presentation, new concepts, inventory management, channel management, and supplier management.
- Proven ability to manage large scale projects in a complex environment
- Proven proficiency in both a brick and mortar and online retail environment
- Experience managing several hundred vendor contracts simultaneously
- Comprehensive understanding of relevant products to make purchasing decisions
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies:
- Advanced understanding of internal and environmental sales drivers
- Merchandising and retail planning expertise
- Strong analytical skills
- Expert communication and negotiation skills
- Project execution skills. ability to negotiate pricing terms, co-op and rebate etc Ability and willingness to work in a highly cross-functional environment
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, Specialized with Excel
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.