Optical Hardware Engineer
Location:Vimercate, Lombardia, Italy
Area of InterestEngineer - Hardware
Technology InterestBig Data, Analytics, Cloud and Data Center, Collaboration, Video, Internet of Everything, Networking, Security
The Transceiver Module Group is responsible for the specification, qualification and operation of all pluggable transceivers - many millions per year. The design team within TMG supports, designs, and develops transceivers across the Cisco pluggable transceiver portfolio. This group carries a tremendous responsibility to both maintain Cisco's strong market leadership in existing transceivers portfolio, and to drive future growth through innovation in Next Generation products.
What You'll Do:
High speed fiber optic testing and simulation responsibility for emerging optical transceiver designs and new optical communication standards. These optical transceivers convert electrical to optical and optical to electrical signaling for Ethernet, Fibre Channel, and other protocols for transmission over fiber optic cabling.
Who You'll Work With:
- Evaluation and selection of high speed test equipment
- Test method development for product characterization
- Experimental lab measurements confirming simulated results.
- Participation in emerging high speed test definitions and parameters – see ieee 802.3 Standards Association
- Design custom hardware for test for optical transceivers and the associated sub-components.
- Supporting debug of production test boards.
- Schematic design and entry.
- Working with PCB layout group on PCB design.
- Creating and releasing documentation for designs
- Debugging new designs
- Work environment will be characterized by frequent contacts and interactions with many different design, test, manufacturing and support groups within Cisco and with third parties such as suppliers, test equipment vendors, international standard bodies.
- Work with electrical, mechanical, and manufacturing engineers to implement cost effective, innovative, manufacturable product designs.
- Develop detailed component specifications as required.
- Some travel may be required.
Who You Are:
- BS or MS in electrical engineering or equivalent.
- Minimum of 5 years of related experience.
- Experience in fiber optics for communication required
- Experience in high speed digital design is preferred.
- Experience in PCBA design and development is preferred
- Previous experience with both prototype and volume manufacturing a major plus.
- Experience in test board design a plus.
- Experience and understanding of modulation encoding is a plus.
- Experience in FPGA and PLD programming is a plus.
- PCB signal integrity design experience, including via hole design and connector interface design is a plus
- Experience with Microsoft Office products, such as Word, Powerpoint, Excel, and Outlook required