Optical Transceiver Architect
Location:San Jose, California, US
Additional Location(s)Allentown, Pennsylvania, US
Area of InterestEngineer - Hardware
Technology InterestBig Data, Analytics, Cloud and Data Center, Collaboration, Video, Internet of Everything, Networking, Security, Service Provider
The Transceiver Module Group is responsible for the specification, qualification and operation of all pluggable transceivers - many millions per year. The design team within TMG supports, designs, and develops transceivers across the Cisco pluggable transceiver portfolio. This group carries a tremendous responsibility to both maintain Cisco's strong market leadership in existing transceivers portfolio, and to drive future growth through innovation in Next Generation products.
What You'll Do:
Architecture responsibility for new high speed fiber optic interfaces.
Who You Work With:
- Own the end to end system optical interface
- Evaluation and selection of architectures including modulation encoding, management interface, packaging approach, and optical scheme
- Specification responsibility for datapath integrated circuits including analog and digital blocks
- Specification responsibility for optical interface including optical link budget internal and external to the interface
- Participation in emerging high speed test definitions and parameters – see ieee 802.3 Standards Association
- Oversight of test method development for product characterization
- Oversight of experimental lab measurements confirming simulated results.
- Oversight of design custom hardware for test for optical engine and the associated sub-components.
- Work environment will be characterized by frequent contacts and interactions with many different design, test, manufacturing and support groups within Cisco and with third parties such as suppliers, test equipment vendors, international standard bodies.
- Develop detailed component specifications as required.
- Some travel required.
Who You Are:
- MS or PhD in electrical engineering or equivalent.
- Minimum of 15 years of related experience.
- Experience in fiber optics for communication required
- Current knowledge of capabilities of high speed optical components based on different technologies
- Experience in semiconductor process, design, and development is preferred
- Experience in high speed digital design is preferred.
- Signal integrity design experience is a plus