As one of the largest pharmacy benefits managers in the United States, UnitedHealth Group provides a professional culture where you're empowered and encouraged to exceed the expectations of our members, with better schedules than retail and more reach than any hospital. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
This position will typically work between 20 - 25 hours per week. Will be required to go into the On - call Pharmacist rotation, which would be 1 weekend per month (starting Friday at 5pm and going through Monday at 8am). Occasionally will have to work another weekend based on scheduling.
- Reviews medication orders and evaluates appropriateness and completeness of orders with consideration given to the special needs and behaviors of the specific age group served. Obtains patient prescription and assists physician, as necessary, in formulating prescriptions and monitoring regimen. Enters medication orders into the computer system and dispenses medications in an accurate and timely manner in appropriate quantities based on stability, compatibility of the drug and age specific needs of the patient. Verifies all prescriptions not directly received from the physician or the physician’s agent
- Assesses the patient at the initiation of drug therapy, develops a patient care plan and drug monitoring regimen and monitors the patient according to the care plan throughout the course of therapy
- Communicates with physicians in suggesting alternate or modified drug therapy programs that are the most cost effective. Communicates with the patient, physician, nursing staff, pharmacists and other members of the health care team regarding patient status, response to therapy and clinical objectives to ensure clinical outcomes is met
- Coordinates with nursing staff to assure the most cost effective method of delivery is utilized to achieve expected outcome
- Information is input into the computerized software system to ensure accurate and timely dispensing and billing
- Coordinates the drug preparation work of pharmacy technician and checks the accuracy of that work prior to releasing the medications for distribution. Accurately checks medications prepared by pharmacy technicians
- Where applicable, compounds pharmaceuticals in an aseptic fashion according to literature guidelines. Compounds specialty drug products. Uses aseptic technique when compounding sterile drug products. Completes accurate documentation of items compounded and repackaged. Is familiar with, and strives to meet, various guidelines and recommendations as put forth by various governing bodies
- Is knowledgeable with regard to the proper use and handling of sterile and hazardous medications. Compounds and handles sterile and hazardous medications in accordance with established guidelines and regulations (i.e. USP <797>)
- Ensures compliance with all FDA, DEA, State Board of Pharmacy, OSHA and other regulatory standards. Follows all department policies and procedures. Participates in department staff meetings and other functions required in the department, maintains license, continuing education and competencies as required by the appropriate regulatory agency and department
- Complies with all applicable Federal, State pharmacy rules and regulations related to dispensing, controlled substances, etc.
- Ensures that all manufacturer requirements for REMS and / or other requirements are met when dispensing and / or shipping drugs
- Provide oversight of the safety; appropriateness, and effectiveness of the pharmaceutical care provide to patients (consumers) as it relates to specialty products dispensed