Platform Reliability Engineer
Location:Boxborough, Massachusetts, US
Area of InterestEngineer - Software
Technology InterestCollaboration, Video
The Business Entity:
Collaboration Technology Group (CTG) is #1 global leader in collaboration technologies, which provides best-in-class integrated collaboration solutions that redefine collaboration experience. Cisco collaboration solutions span a wide variety of solutions and technologies, including Cloud Collaboration Services, SaaS Offerings, Hosted Collaboration Solutions, and Premise solutions, Endpoints, Video, Presence, Conferencing, Customer Care and Unified Communications.
Cisco’s CCBU (Customer Care Business Unit) is an industry leader in Customer Care solutions and is growing its Cloud SaaS engineering teams. The teams work in a high performing agile environment with the latest in cloud development technologies and practices, including continuous delivery, continuous integration, test-driven development and PaaS based development. Articulate the next generation of Customer Care SaaS Solutions with us that will fundamentally change the way companies interact with their customers and will transform this multi-billion-dollar industry. Come, envision, influence and implement the future of customer care with us.
Role & Responsibilities
· Engage in service capacity planning and demand forecasting, software performance analysis and system tuning. Gather and analyze data to root out product defects, service errors, discern trends, and diagnose complex customer-facing issues. Guide regular service reviews to shine a light on areas of improvement across the application portfolio
· Create tools and processes to improve the availability, scalability, latency, and efficiency of platform and applications
· Solve business needs by evaluating, designing, and leveraging different technologies and vendor products
· Participate in on-call escalations to troubleshoot internal and customer-facing issues; prevent future incidents through build automation to prevent problem recurrence, with goal of automatic response for all common issues
· Work directly with application development teams to ensure operational concerns are addressed from design through deployment to production
· Passionate about using data to find and prevent future problems and working across teams/disciplines to provide the best service quality for our customers.
· BS in Computer Science (or equivalent) and 2+ years of hands-on software development and deployment
· Experience delivering always-on customer focused applications (i.e. online 24x7x365) and using tools for cloud application alerting, monitoring, logging, and health checks
· Familiarity using Docker/containerization tools as well as cloud platform and infrastructure services such as AWS, OpenStack, Cloud Foundry, Heroku or similar
· Experience with automation and configuration management tools such as Puppet, Chef, or Jenkins as well as tools for service discovery and secrets management
· Excellent working knowledge of Unix/Linux operating systems and networking, including network theory, such as different protocols (TCP/IP, UDP, ICMP, etc), MAC addresses, IP packets, DNS, OSI layers, and load balancing)
· Understanding of Software Development Life Cycle, Test Driven Development, Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery
· Understanding of security concepts and technologies
· Fluency with two or more of the following languages: Java, Bash, Python, Ruby, or Go.
The Internet of Everything is a phenomenon driving new opportunities for Cisco and it's transforming our customers' businesses worldwide. We are pioneers and have been since the early days of connectivity. Today, we are building teams that are expanding our technology solutions in the mobile, cloud, security, IT, and big data spaces, including software and consulting services. As Cisco delivers the network that powers the Internet, we are connecting the unconnected. Imagine creating unprecedented disruption. Your revolutionary ideas will impact everything from retail, healthcare, and entertainment, to public and private sectors, and far beyond. Collaborate with likeminded innovators in a fun and flexible culture that has earned Cisco global recognition as a Great Place To Work. With roughly 10 billion connected things in the world now and over 50 billion estimated in the future, your career has exponential possibilities at Cisco.