Principal Design Researcher (Portland, OR)
JobTitle: Principal Design Researcher (Portland, OR)
City: SAN BRUNO
@WalmartLabs is the technical powerhouse behind Walmart Global eCommerce. We employ big data at scale -- from machine learning, data mining and optimization algorithms, to modeling and analyzing massive flows of data from online, social, mobile and offline commerce. We don’t just engineer cool websites, mobile apps, and new services; we use our own open source tools to create the framework. Deployment is automated and accelerated through our open cloud platform. This makes us incredibly nimble and able to adjust in real-time to our global customers.
The UX Design team is creating user experiences for customers who shop online on our sites from their desktops and mobile devices. It’s all about the user experience from ideation, exploring experience design concepts, to prototyping and testing. Our UX/UI experts include strategists, researchers, architects and designers who build best-in-class site experiences and apps. It’s incredibly exciting and rewarding to see products in our users’ hands.
At WalmartLabs, we keep our customers at the center of all our design efforts. Design Researchers make the customer perspective clear and accessible during design, and ensure we are creating the best sites & apps for our customers.
We are looking for a senior or principal researcher to support a team exploring new design directions. Currently the team is focused on apparel & fashion. Our ideal candidate has these characteristics:
- Research with agility: You have a strong working knowledge of formative & summative usability research methods, and how they are applied in a fast-moving organization. You develop learning plans that address rapid research & but also take into account the evolution of a product. Experience with field studies, participatory design, heuristic evaluations, diary studies and storyboard walk-throughs is also preferred.
- Actionable Findings: You translate insight into action. You help teams understand customer needs, attitudes, and behaviors through thoughtful & actionable research. Your work informs both strategic and tactical efforts.
- Creative: When you’re presented with a design or business problem, you think of multiple research approaches to help figure out how to make the experience easier and more delightful for our customer – and you’re excited to tell us about them.
- Collaborative: You use your knowledge of the UX process in collaboration with other researchers, designers, content strategists, architects, product managers and engineers to help transform complex problems into easy-to-use products. You figure out how to best address our research goals & questions so your partners don’t have to.
- Self-motivated: You work without close supervision but you seek out and welcome feedback from senior UX leaders and managers.
- Adaptive: You manage your time and deadlines, but can adapt to the ever-changing priorities of the Sam’s Club business. You can evaluate business priorities and adjust your research program accordingly.
- Team player: You mentor your team and peers in new methods and ways of learning. You can work with team processes and standards, while leading process improvement efforts.
- Bachelor's (or equivalent experience) and 6 years of user research experience, Master's Degree and 4 years of relevant experience or PHD and 2 years of research experience.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- You are skilled at moderating live studies, and know how to structure un-moderated studies.
- You can incorporate research & metrics from other sources into your work to deliver actionable recommendations that inform design and business strategy.
- You work with our research partners (site analytics, consumer insights) to synthesize and leverage existing data and coordinate research efforts
- You work quickly and efficiently without sacrificing quality in your studies.
- You stay up-to-date with the latest industry news and developments.
- You develop team processes and standards, and help establish best practices for research.
- You have excellent presentation, communication, and negotiation skills, and the ability to influence peers & stakeholders.
Walmart Global eCommerce is comprised of Walmart.com, VUDU, SamsClub.com, and our technical powerhouse @WalmartLabs. Here, innovators incubate next gen e-commerce solutions in real-time. We integrate online, physical, and mobile shopping experiences for billions of customers around the globe. How do we do it? We continuously build and invest in new technology including open source tools and big data innovations. Data scientists, front and back-end engineers, product managers, and web and UX/UI teams collaborate alongside e-commerce experts to envision, prototype, and bring revolutionary ideas to life in a dynamic, flexible and fun work culture.