Principal Scientist - PepsiCo Beverages Microbiologist
Job Title: Principal Scientist - PepsiCo Beverages Microbiologist
Location: Valhalla, NY
Category: Research & Development
- Collaborate as full team member (R&D Microbiology Dept. subject matter expert) on Beverage Product and Process development teams.
- Design and execute microbiological risk analysis & risk management studies for product, process and package development initiatives, and provide microbial risk assessment insights using effective communications skills.
- Develop, assign, and approve microbiological specifications for beverage ingredients as required using current PepsiCo software systems.
- Investigate and help implement new/improved microbiology methods and techniques within R&D and manufacturing facilities.
- Mentor and provide a strong professional role model for other individuals in the Microbiology Dept. Experience in people management a plus, but not required.
- On request, investigate key manufacturing plant-related issues and help develop long term solutions
- Help provide training for R&D and Manufacturing personnel in the areas of Food Microbiology, Food Safety, and Lab Quality Assurance.
- Working knowledge of manufacturing food safety and quality assurance principles and programs. Knowledge of FDA and USDA regulatory requirements and GFSI standards. Experience in facility program management or auditing a plus, but not required.
- B.S. in Microbiology or Food Microbiology from an accredited institution with a minimum of 8 years of beverage/food industry experience or M.S. / Ph.D. in Microbiology or Food Microbiology with a minimum of 6 years of beverage/food industry experience.
- Strong foundational knowledge of beverage/food microbiology (spoilage organisms, pathogens, and indicator microorganisms). Experience working with commercially distributed high-acid and/or low-acid beverages is strongly desired.
- Solid hands-on laboratory microbiology skills (bacteria, including major foodborne pathogens and sporeformers, mold and yeast) and willingness to carry out research oriented lab work as required.
- Experience with design of microbiological challenge and shelf-life studies.
- Fundamental understanding of FSMA, thermal processing, HACCP, food safety and sanitation principles.
- Ability to utilize in-depth knowledge, problem-solving skills and an awareness of PepsiCo priorities to achieve stated results and to provide microbiological insights and problem resolution paths.
- Must demonstrate initiative, commitment, resourcefulness and a passion for supporting Innovation and improving the Quality of PepsiCo's brands
- Proven research project design, application and project management skills
- Strong data interpretation skills - i.e., Demonstrated ability to distill data and/or test results into business-focused technical recommendations.
- Functional computer software skills (Microsoft® Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Travel within U.S. is required (estimated at 10%). International travel on occasional basis.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
PepsiCo is an equal opportunity employer Minorities/Females/People with Disabilities/Protected Veterans/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
If you'd like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please download the available EEO is the Law (http://pep.jobs/eeo-poster) & EEO is the Law Supplement (http://pep.jobs/eeo-poster-supplement) documents by copying and pasting the appropriate URL in the address bar of your web browser.
To view our Pay Transparency Statement, please click here: Pay Transparency StatementJob Ref: 113888BR",
Performance with Purpose
Out performing ourselves is a rush. That's why we perform with purpose. Together, we blaze new trails, succeed, celebrate and then do something even bigger. We never settle for second best. At PepsiCo we're not just committed to performing well as individuals, but as a team, to strengthen the company as a whole.
Around the world, we're working hard to give people the tastes they crave and the nutrition they need. We dream globally and act locally, constantly innovating to sustain our planet, our people, our communities and our business practices. New markets mean new ways of doing business, and new ways of addressing health concerns, cultural differences and environmental challenges. Every day is an adventure, and an opportunity for personal and professional growth.