R&D Associate Principle Scientist
Job Title: R&D Associate Principle Scientist
Location: Barrington, IL
Category: Research & Development
R&D Associate Principle Scientist-Nutrition Technical Applications
This role is a research scientist for the Nutrition Technical Applications - Core Renovation & Sciences team. The role develops and conducts research for applications programs to identify and validate new ingredient and formulation technologies that drive advantage across the global Nutrition portfolio.
- Research leader for the technical evaluation of new ingredient and formulation technologies for the Nutrition portfolio (Grains, Fruit & Vegetable and Dairy).
- Conducts hands-on applications testing at both the bench and in pilot plant leveraging experimental design.
- Supports interaction and linkage to key Discovery programs in Beverage & Snacks categories to ensure program alignment and technology transfer to Regional teams.
- Identifies and leverages external partners to source new ingredients and technologies. Assesses technology applicability in Nutrition products and delivers proven solutions to product development teams.
- Creates, oversees and executes research programs to deliver technical solutions to improve the nutritional profile of Nutrition products, leveraging strong expertise in food physical chemistry and food ingredient functionality.
- Initiates and leads communication venues with global R&D peers to transfer & implement new technologies for global teams.
- Primary accountability focused on establishing and driving new research focused on Sodium Reduction as well as for the identification of natural preservation tools. Also supports the global Nutrition Sugar Reduction Platform.
- Demonstrates technology applicability and potential, leveraging protocept development and presentations for technical and non-technical audiences
- Leverages strong partnerships with external and internal experts (analytical, sensory, academia) to resolve key technical challenges
- Performs basic economic evaluations on ingredients, ingredients suppliers, and product formulations to assess viability
- Participate as an active member of cross-functional teams comprised of individuals from a variety of disciplines, including Regulatory, legal, Marketing, Purchasing, Engineering and other groups.
Education / Certifications:
- BS Food Science & Technology / Food Chemistry or related field required (MS / PhD strongly preferred)
- 6+ yrs of experience, preferably in the Food Industry
Skills & Capabilities:
- Proven expertise in utilization of scientific method and critical thinking to drive robust research programs and deliver results
- Strong understanding of product formulation and development, ingredient technology, food safety and quality systems.
- Functional knowledge of analytical test methodologies and data interpretation
- Proven ability to make significant technical scientific advances utilizing internal and/or external resources.
- Demonstrated fundamental understanding of the incorporation of business need into technical programs
- Detail-oriented individual with proven ability to independently lead multiple projects and work streams simultaneously, leveraging project management tools.
- Self-starter with superior oral and written communication and presentation skills, the ability to work with various personalities and work styles, and proven influence management skills.
- Strong personal leadership skills and the ability to work effectively in cross-functional and global teams.
- Positive learner--highly creative individual with desire to gain and apply knowledge to new products.
Approximately 10% travel required
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
PepsiCo is an equal opportunity employer Minorities/Females/People with Disabilities/Protected Veterans/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
If you'd like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please download the available EEO is the Law (http://pep.jobs/eeo-poster) & EEO is the Law Supplement (http://pep.jobs/eeo-poster-supplement) documents by copying and pasting the appropriate URL in the address bar of your web browser.
To view our Pay Transparency Statement, please click here: Pay Transparency StatementJob Ref: 111981BR",
Performance with Purpose
Out performing ourselves is a rush. That's why we perform with purpose. Together, we blaze new trails, succeed, celebrate and then do something even bigger. We never settle for second best. At PepsiCo we're not just committed to performing well as individuals, but as a team, to strengthen the company as a whole.
Around the world, we're working hard to give people the tastes they crave and the nutrition they need. We dream globally and act locally, constantly innovating to sustain our planet, our people, our communities and our business practices. New markets mean new ways of doing business, and new ways of addressing health concerns, cultural differences and environmental challenges. Every day is an adventure, and an opportunity for personal and professional growth.