The Senior Corporate Counsel, Privacy provides guidance and direction in the development, implementation, and maintenance of consistent, company-wide compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and policies related to privacy matters. As part of these efforts, the Senior Corporate Counsel, Privacy is responsible for the management and ongoing development of The Home Depot's Privacy Program to support business initiatives and transactions and to evaluate the same for compliance with relevant privacy laws and regulations and organizational policies and procedures. MAJOR TASKS, RESPONSIBILITES AND KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES
The Senior Corporate Counsel, Privacy works with cross-functional partners to drive the continued implementation of The Home Depot’s Privacy Program, including developing and enhancing corporate privacy policies and business-specific processes and procedures related to privacy. The Senior Corporate Counsel, Privacy partners with IT Security to manage the company’s privacy and data security training program, including development and execution of activities to promote privacy awareness within the company. He/she serves as the subject matter expert to the company on issues of privacy and provides expert advice and strategic operational guidance to all functions across the company. He/she collaborates with other members of the Legal Department and business functions to analyze and assist with pertinent privacy and data security aspects of legal agreements. He/she oversees or assists with and helps investigate, manage and mitigate privacy incidents, complaints, or breaches.
NATURE AND SCOPE
- Provide counsel, strategic advice and business guidance on privacy and data security matters across all lines of a dynamic retail business, with specific emphasis on supporting the company’s digital strategy and issues related to customer communications and analytics.
- Provide guidance on compliance with global privacy and data security laws, regulations, industry standards, self-regulatory requirements, and best practices applicable to the retail industry (primarily North America).
- Review and negotiate privacy and data security contract issues that arise in a wide variety of commercial transactions.
- Respond to consumer, regulatory and employee privacy and data security inquiries.
- Develop and deliver privacy and data security training and awareness programs.
- Assist the Chief Privacy Officer in the execution and continuous improvement of The Home Depot’s Privacy Program, including policies and procedures as they relate to customers and associates.
- Understand the technologies that create privacy and data security challenges and keep current on legislative, judicial and regulatory privacy and data security developments in order to understand and communicate the effect of such developments on The Home Depot’s business.
- Assist the Incident Response Team in the review and coordination of potential privacy or data security incidents, including investigations, notifications, and other resolution efforts.
This position reports to the Chief Privacy Officer. This position has no Direct Reports. ENVIRONMENTAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
Environment: Located in a comfortable indoor area. Any unpleasant conditions would be infrequent and not objectionable.
Travel: Typically requires overnight travel 5% to 20% of the time.
- Must be eighteen years of age or older.
- Must pass the Drug Test.
- Must pass Background Check.
- Must pass pre-employment test if applicable.
Education Required: The completion of a Juris Doctor or equivalent and required certifications for practicing law.
Years of Relevant Work Experience: 8 years
Most of the time is spent sitting in a comfortable position and there is frequent opportunity to move about. On rare occasions there may be a need to move or lift light articles. Preferred Qualifications:
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies:
- IAPP Privacy Certification such as CIPP or CIPM highly preferred
- Prior experience as in-house counsel.
- Eight (8) years of practice experience.
- Solid organizational and time management skills; ability to manage multiple projects concurrently
- Ability to work well under pressure in a fast-paced, consistently changing environment, and respond to urgent situations, as required
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Proven drafting and negotiation skills.
- Ability to prepare and assist in preparation of reports and presentations to officers and executives as appropriate.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team on numerous activities and prioritize them properly while meeting deadlines.
- Ability to confront conflict and difficult issues in a professional, assertive and proactive manner.
- The self-starting ability to aggressively tackle new responsibilities and initiatives without receiving sufficient training or completely clear direction.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with privacy and data security laws and regulations and ability to translate that knowledge to deliver relevant and actionable guidance to the business. Specifically, possess strong substantive knowledge of legal and self-regulatory privacy and data security requirements globally (primarily North America), including, but not limited to, PCI-DSS, Mobile Application Privacy Codes of Conduct, Online Behavioral Advertising Principles, State Breach Notification laws, FTC Act, HIPAA, TCPA & TSR, CAN-SPAM, COPPA, CASL, PIPEDA and various state privacy laws and industry regulations.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.