Technical Customer Support Engineer at OpenDNS
Location:San Francisco, California, US
Area of InterestEngineer - Software
Technology InterestNetworking, Security
The Business Entity
Our approach is twofold; first Umbrella, our cloud-delivered network security service, blocks advanced attacks including malware, botnets, and phishing threats, while our predictive intelligence engine uses machine learning to automate protection against newly-discovered threats before they can reach our customers. Today, we handle more than 80 billion daily Internet requests from 65 million+ users around the world. Our global network has proven reliability and adds no latency. We protect each and every one of our customers’ devices globally without any hardware to install or software to maintain.
Working within the Cisco Umbrella group means being surrounded by passionate, intelligent and creative people that are determined to disrupt the Internet security industry with innovative ideas, world-class research and unrivaled products and services. It’s a place where the best ideas are quickly transformed into products, features, campaigns and company-wide practices, so it won’t be long before you witness the results of your hard work. But don’t just take our word for it. We’ve seen nearly 100% year-over-year usage growth.
Cisco Umbrella is looking for a Technical Support Engineer who is versed in networking technologies to join our growing Support Team. Helping our customers is the best way to add value to our brand as you are our ambassador in this mission. You will act as the customer’s advocate ensuring that Cisco Umbrella provides them with the best possible security experience.
Cisco Umbrella is looking for an experienced Technical Support Engineer to join our growing backline team. At Cisco Umbrella, Customer Support is marketing. Helping our customers is the best way to add value to our brand and you are our ambassador in this mission. This is an opportunity to join a fast growing medium-sized team where you will be able to offer first-rate customer service for an established product used and loved by tens of millions around the world. We are a business group within Cisco, and we have retained our former start-up atmosphere. We offer a fun work environment, and you will act as the customer’s champion ensuring that Cisco Umbrella provides them with the best possible experience.
Role & Responsibilities
● Handle, diagnose and resolve incoming customer technical support issues in a timely manner through email and phone. Work closely with the engineering group to effectively resolve escalated issues.
● Partner with Inside Sales to provide technical assistance with pre- and post-sales through evaluation, closure and on-boarding.
● Provide training on products for customers and internal personnel.
● Recommend improvements to the product and engineering groups on product related bugs and issues.
● Actively participate in deploying and testing new product and feature releases.
● Bachelor's degree in Computer Science/Information Systems or equivalent.
● Strong understanding of the DNS protocol.
● Strong understanding of web proxy architecture and deployment.
● Proficiency and experience in administering Linux/Unix servers.
● 5+ years experience
in an enterprise external support engineer role.
● Comprehensive understanding of Windows/Mac technology – DHCP, Active Directory (Domain, User Administration, GPO), IOS Configuration.
● Strong understanding of LAN and WAN networking protocols and technologies, including switching, firewalls and routing.
● Familiarity with the latest System/Network security principles, techniques and protocols.
● Love and passion for
helping customers and delivering satisfaction even when faced with difficult
● A positive attitude and friendly outgoing personality.
● Strong written and email etiquette skills.
● Strong oral communication skills, including the ability to present technical information in user-friendly language.
● Ability to handle constantly changing flow of traffic: remain productive during slow times, be able to multitask effectively during busy times, exercise patience and professionalism during stressful situations.
● Ability to prioritize and work responsibly with or without direct supervision.
The Internet of Everything is a phenomenon driving new opportunities for Cisco and it's transforming our customers' businesses worldwide. We are pioneers and have been since the early days of connectivity. Today, we are building teams that are expanding our technology solutions in the mobile, cloud, security, IT, and big data spaces, including software and consulting services. As Cisco delivers the network that powers the Internet, we are connecting the unconnected. Imagine creating unprecedented disruption. Your revolutionary ideas will impact everything from retail, healthcare, and entertainment, to public and private sectors, and far beyond. Collaborate with like-minded innovators in a fun and flexible culture that has earned Cisco global recognition as a Great Place To Work. With roughly 10 billion connected things in the world now and over 50 billion estimated in the future, your career has exponential possibilities at Cisco.